Saturday, June 14, 2008

just felt like posting rube goldberg devices

I found this today on StumbleUpon and its one of the best Rube Goldberg machines I've seen in ahwhile, but then it also made me think of all the videos I've seen. Here are some that stuck out in my mind as particularly memorable examples.



I found this one over on Alton Brown's blog about a year ago. I believe this commercial won Honda a design achievement award. When I first saw this I thought some parts of it were 3D animated but in fact, it was just an incredibly elaborate reaction with an incredibly high budget for filming. The budget takes away some of the fun of a rube goldberg machine but you still cannot deny the charm in this video.



This one was commissioned for two Swiss artists Peter Fischli & David Weiss, the actual chain reaction goes on for about thirty minutes but as you can see from the four minute sample on the internet, its some pretty elaborate stuff and I remember hearing that they went under a fair bit of scrutiny from the person who commissioned it up until the actual device was done.

blog comments powered by Disqus